Saturday, May 2, 2009

It's disgusting

So I wasn't sure what to write on here today. But I've recommitted to writing a bit for 30 days in a row so that it will become a habit.
I was looking back over the updates and found this on Fugly Horse of the Day.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/From-Race-Horse-To-Main-Course.html
While horse slaughter for food is illegal in the US it is apparently a black market thriving business. The scary and saddest part is that if you live in Fl. you might wake up and find your horse missing from the pasture or worse, butchered in the pasture or stripped of meat and left on the roadside or even worse butchered in it's stall.
When will people wake up and learn that the horse has spent many centuries taking care of us and basically serving us. So why do we treat them as throw away? They aren't. They are beautiful noble animals that deserve our protection.
Why is law enforcement not doing more?
Oh and slaughter is not a way of dealing with unwanted horses. How about oh I don't know NOT BACKYARD BREEDING THEM!!!! How bout being more responsible. There's more horses out there than there are people to take care of them. You know, not even backyard breeders are all to blame. There are a lot of big breeders who need to step up and be more responsible for their breeding programs. If there is a glut of foals, DON'T BREED MORE. Just common sense. Thank goodness Canada's shut down the PMU stables.
How about a national spay and geld your horse? Wouldn't that be smart?
Just a thought!

4 comments:

  1. Unfortunately, the PMU farms are NOT shut down.

    http://www.naeric.org/ranchers.asp?strNav=3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is dissappointing. I know they had downsized and thought they had actually stopped altogether. We need to get them to quit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely!!! I for one will never use any premarin products. I have gone so far as to not purchase any Wyeth products... ie Advil, Robitussen (sp?). Only us women can put an end to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hadn't thought about the Wyeth products in general, although I usually use generic. I tell all my friends and family about Premarin. I was so dissappointed in my mom when she used it for a year. She finally stopped!

    ReplyDelete