Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Nice Day

Went to a friends place and rode out on a trail ride with her. Small one as I haven't ridden but one trail ride on this mare in a long long time. Nice, relaxing, and HOT. LOL. Took my mare's saddle blanket off and it actually soaked my shirt and pants leg that I held it against. She got a nice roll in the sand arena and a shower. Then off to lunch with my friend. Then off to see Star Trek. It was great. A nice day and I'm pleasantly worn out.
My mom's old mare, she's 33, has a cataract in her left eye. She's ok with it, she knows her pasture and the 2 older geldings that's she's with so she can follow them around. The nice thing is that this little mare is 1/2arab 1/2 quarter horse and has a firey spirit. So sometimes she's a pain to lead and she's horribly miserable to worm. But today she walked quietly on the lead line, I was on her left and talked to her the whole time. She tied ok. And I approached on the left and was petting her face and muzzle and stuck the wormer tube in, she threw her head once but not hard and stood still for the wormer.
This is the mare that has to be snubbed to the tie post and still strikes out when it's worming time. This is the mare, that when my mom got her, the vet said, "well you don't know when she was wormed last. We'll tube worm her". Which involves passing a long rubber hose into the stomach through the nose. She promptly reared up and did a nice strike to the back of his head.
So today was different. I don't know how much longer she'll be with us, she also has arthritis in her sacro-illeac joint and it's hard to get up and down but we've had a grand time with her for the last 22 years and I'm glad I got to know her spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment