Friday, May 1, 2009

Death

Our old dog, Jack, died last Mon. He was between 14 and 16. He was a bait dog that showed up at my parents ranch several years ago. My mom tried to get rid of him by throwing rocks at him and chasing him with a broom. He wouldn't leave. He knew a sucker when he found one. One of his ears didn't move. Then he got hit by a car and my mom drug him home a mile not long before her female surgery. There went the use of one back leg and he found a home, he was hers. Then they moved out here and he took over my husband. LOL. He just faded away, like old people do. He didn't eat or drink the last few days. He was happy to get pets. He'd just lie around. He'd quit really eating the last month or so.One thing about living in the country. Our kids are comfortable with death. My hubby and step-son dug the hole. We buried him, said some words, put flowers on him, and then on top of the grave. Sasha was sad and still says how much she misses him. BB says he's sad but he's ok as Jack and he weren't close. Little Mike was sad also, Jack took care of him. When he was tied up in front he would play with Mike and when a new neighbor walked up he shoved little Mike into the front door, wrapped himself around his legs, and growled at the neighbor. He wasn't going to let me past either but I said "it's ok, it's the neighbor, go lay down" and he did. I always felt safe with him around. He loved to be scratched and pet but I knew he was on guard. His collar was always loose and every few months or so he'd slip his collar and go for a run. We'd find him in the barn. I just didn't want him to get hit by a car. Those shiny fenders were just to much to resist catching.Back to the kids. We, over the years, have buried dogs, cats, a goat, several chickens, and we've lost two horses. We've never hid it from the kids. When my dad died in 2001 he was buried at the National Cemetary. On the way down, Little Mike was sitting in the back with my mom and he got all flustered and worried. He said "we forgot something". He said we forgot the shovels. We explained we didn't actually have to worry about that someone else will dig the grave. He was only 5. Death and Life are just every day occurances to farm kids. I think it's better than way actually. Just my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment